Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cherry Sauce served at the Parish House Inn

 SOUR CHERRY SAUCE ...cuz nothing says "Michigan" like cherries. 

4 cups sour cherries ( not need to chop them)
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together.
Put the cherries and water in a saucepan on medium heat. Cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Add the sugar/cornstarch mixture to the cherries and stir.  Continue cooking until it bubbles and thickens,  about 2 - 3 minutes.
Use immediately or store in a covered container in  the refrigerator.


It is cherry season in Michigan right now, and so I went to our local Farmer's Market and picked up 2 baskets of local sour cherries. I decided to make some cherry jam, but ended up with  about 2 cups too much for the jam recipe.  So ....I began thinking about another way to use those 2 cups, and decided to go for this cherry sauce.  I will use it as a topping for pancakes and waffles this week.   It is super easy and really delicious. 

I had a jar left over from the "jam session" so I  put the cherry sauce in it to store in the refrigerator.  


Enjoy,

Chris Mason
Innkeeper


No comments:

Post a Comment