This is my favorite Fall bread to serve with breakfast at the Parish House Inn. You can add nuts to it you like or leave the apples out and it will still be yummy.
Chris mason, innkeeper
PUMPKIN APPLE BREAD
This is very moist and spicey with the addition of the chopped apples. Makes a great gift to share with family and friends as well.
Preheat oven to 350o. Coat 2 - 9x5x3 inch loaf pans or 5 mini pans with cooking spray.
3 cups all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
1 can (14 ½ ounces) pumpkin
¾ cup vegetable oil
2 ¼ cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 Granny Smith apples (or other cooking apples), peeled and chopped, about 2 cups
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and allspice.
- In another large bowl whisk together pumpkin, oil, sugar and eggs.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Stir until well combined, and then fold in apples.
- Divide evenly into prepared pans. Bake 50 -55 minutes for large pans and 45 to 50 minutes for small pans, until a toothpick comes out clean, or the top springs back.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from the pans and cool completely.
This keeps in the refrigerator, for several days and of course freezes well.