PUMPKIN FRENCH TOAST
1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced Challah style bread
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
a pinch of coarse salt
1/2 cup canned pumplin
1/2 cup half-and-half
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons orange flavored liquer or orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
6 tablespoons butter for frying
maple syrup to serve
1. Trim ends of bread and cut crosswise into 12 1-inch slices.
2. Combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk in the pumpkin, half-and-half, eggs, liquer, vanilla and orange zest. Pour mixture into a large baking dish.
3. Add bread slices to the pan, turning to coat both sides. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerare overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 250o. Heat 2 large skillets over meduim low heat and add 1 tablespoon butter. When butter is sizzling, add 2 bread slices to each skillet and cook until bread is golden brown, about 2 -3 minutes per side. Transfer the slices to a baking sheet; keep warm in the oven until serving. repeat with remaining butter and bread.
5. Serve with remaining butter and warm maple syrup.
Parish House Inn